Pigmentation is the coloration of the skin, this is determined by the amount of melanin (colour) that the body produces from the melanocyte cells. The amount of melanin produced on the skin depends on the skin type and exposure to the sun. Fair skin is a result of low melanin production where as darker skin tones are the result of higher melanin production. Hormonal and environmental factors also have an impact on the melanin production.
Pigmentation ranges from:
- Sun spots/ age spots
- Melisma- known as pregnancy pigment
- Vitiligo- patches of white skin
- Achromia- known as albinism
- Post inflammatory marks cause by an injury
Treatments will vary depending on the type of pigmentation.
- Using sunscreen daily
- Skin peels
- Removes blemishes and dull cells from the surface layer
- Laser and light (LED or IPL) rejuvenation
- A more permanent and visible solution
- Customized facials
- Micro needling